Richard Watts has research and teaching interests in the post/colonial francophone world. He is the author of Packaging Post/Coloniality: The Manufacture of Literary Identity in the Francophone World (Lexington Books, 2005), which considers how the presentation of books – their covers, illustrations, dedications, and, most significantly, prefaces – functioned as instruments of cultural translation and allowed the works to pass from the post/colonial space of their production to the largely metropolitan French space of their consumption. Written at the intersection of postcolonial studies and ecocriticism, his current project, tentatively titled Water Narratives: Imagining Global Environmental Change in the Francophone Post/colonial World, examines how the pollution, privatization, and manufactured scarcity of water are rapidly altering its previously stable symbolic value in literature, cinema and other forms of cultural production. He has published on these and other subjects in Modern Language Notes, Research in African Literatures, Traducation-Terminologie-Rédaction, French Forum, and Sites. He was a research fellow at the University of Washington Simpson Center for the Humanities in 2009-2010 and had a residency at the Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Center in Winter 2010.
Research Advised: Graduate Dissertations
- Claire Mouflard. L'Autre en Mouvement: Representations of the Postcolonial Urban Other in Contemporary Metropolitan French Literature, Art and Cinema. Diss., 2014.
- Lisa Connell. "Pedagogically Speaking: Francophone Women's Autobiography and the Learning." Diss., 2010.
- Yuqiu Meng. "At the Crossroads of Colonialism, Empire and Revolution: The 'Old Colonies' in French Literature 1788-1848." Diss., 2010.
- Dantzel Cenatiempo Earns PhD in French Studies - December 16, 2019
- New Study Abroad Program to Université Laval in Quebec City - December 16, 2019
- French Major Giulia Szanyi Following her Passion for French and Journalism - April 3, 2019
- French Major Christelle Silué Travels to Ivory Coast to do Research and Advocacy Work - August 21, 2018
- Richard Watts Spotlight in the Whole U's Faculty Friday - December 16, 2016
- KING5 News Sits in on class discussion of recent Paris attacks - November 17, 2015
- Autumn 2014 Course: The Water Crisis in Literature and Film - May 14, 2014
- Maya Smith and Richard Watts, FIS Faculty, Celebrate Mardi Gras! - March 4, 2014
- Spring 2014 Course: Francophone Literature and Cultures - February 5, 2014
- Course Highlights - Winter 2013 - November 1, 2012
- FIS Faculty present at the 110th Annual Conference of the Pacific Ancient and Modern Language Association (PAMLA), October 19-21, 2012, hosted by Seattle University - October 25, 2012
- Assoc. Prof. Richard Watts begins five-year term as Chair of French & Italian Studies - July 2, 2012
- French Professors to Present at Association for Literature, Environment, and Culture in Canada Conference - March 29, 2012
- Plans for Study Abroad Program in Martinique - December 21, 2011