Discover the Path to a New Language and New Perspectives
Enjoy small class sizes and a rich, interdisciplinary curriculum with one of our major or minor programs.Undergraduate Programs
Environmental Humanities, Sociolinguistics, Media and Technology
Our research exemplifies the best of contemporary interdisciplinary humanistic study.Research & Publications
More Than Languages
Discover the political and social evolutions of France from the Renaissance through the early 19th-century, global French cinema, classic works of Italian theater, the world of Proust, or the cultural and artistic history of Rome.Featured Courses
Immerse Yourself in a New Culture
Experience cultural immersion and perfect your language skills with one of our study abroad programs in Rome, Québec City, Paris, Nantes, or Martinique.Study Abroad
Careers in French & Italian
Our alumni find their language skills in demand in a global economy. They embark on careers in tech, teaching, marketing, and more.Alumni Profiles
Studies the evolution of Italian postwar society through the analysis of film and literature as well as critical, historical, and sociological readings. Learn more
Associate Professor of French Maya Angela Smith Publishes Essay for the Boston Globe
In this moving essay for The Boston Globe, Associate Professor of French Maya Angela Smith writes about Black motherhood and the fear and anxiety of bringing her unborn son into "a society full of racial injustice".Read more
News & Events
- Beatrice Arduini, Antonio Manetti
- Geoffrey Turnovsky, Looking for Readers in Early Modern France, 1500-1800: Forum. French Historical Studies 41, 3 (August 2018).
- Geoffrey Turnovsky, "Touched by an Author: Books and 'Intensive' Reading in the Late Eighteenth Century"
- Geoffrey Turnovsky, "Les lecteurs du Mercure Galant. Trois aperçus."
- Maya Angela Eipe Smith, “The Journal Rappé: ‘Edutaining’ the Youth through Senegalese Hip-Hop.”
- Beatrice Arduini, Invective and Emotional Tones in Dante's Convivio