More Than Languages
Discover the political and social evolutions of France from the Renaissance through the early 19th-century, global French cinema, classic works of Italian theater, the world of Proust, or the cultural and artistic history of Rome.Featured Courses
Immerse Yourself in a New Culture
Experience cultural immersion and perfect your language skills with one of our study abroad programs in Rome, Québec City, Paris, Nantes, or Martinique.Study Abroad
Discover the Path to a New Language and New Perspectives
Enjoy small class sizes and a rich, interdisciplinary curriculum with one of our major or minor programs.Undergraduate Programs
Environmental Humanities, Sociolinguistics, Media and Technology
Our research exemplifies the best of contemporary interdisciplinary humanistic study.Research & Publications
Careers in French & Italian
Our alumni find their language skills in demand in a global economy. They embark on careers in tech, teaching, marketing, and more.Alumni Profiles
Explores the French language as social practice. Students learn of the social aspect of the evolution of the French language, the dynamic relationship between language and identity, and the... Learn more
French & Italian Studies Faculty Update
Assistant Professor of French Studies Maya Angela Smith recently published her first book, Senegal Abroad: Linguistic Borders, Racial Formations, and Diasporic Imaginaries. Through a critical examination of language and multilingual practices in qualitative, ethnographic data, this sRead more
News & Events
- Louisa Mackenzie, French Thinking About Animals
- Geoffrey Turnovsky, "Les lecteurs du Mercure Galant. Trois aperçus."
- Geoffrey Turnovsky, "Touched by an Author: Books and 'Intensive' Reading in the Late Eighteenth Century"
- Maya Angela Eipe Smith, Senegal Abroad
- Giuseppe Leporace, Hospital Series: Amelia Rosselli
- French Thinking About Animals, edited by Louisa Mackenzie and Stephanie Posthumus.