French and Italian Honors Program Requirements
To graduate with honors in French or Italian, you must complete a total of 62 credits. In addition to ALL the requirements of the French and Italian majors, students must complete a 5 credit Honors Course OR an approved standard French content course that can be taken Ad Hoc.
After completing the honors course, students will write a 30-40 page HONORS THESIS (page number includes footnotes and bibliography). During the quarter in which they write their thesis, students will register for 2 credits of honors course work, French 490 Honors. Students expecting to graduate in spring or summer, must complete these credits (and the thesis) by the end of spring quarter.
Application Eligibility Requirements:
To be eligible to apply for the French and Italian Honors program, you must:
- Be a junior or senior with at least two quarters left at UW
- Have a major GPA of 3.75 or above; and an overall GPA of 3.50 or above.
- Have taken at least three upper-division content courses at the UW, including at least one at the 400-level.
Qualifying courses include:
French 304, 305, 306, 376, 378, 379, other 400-level work
Italian 304, 401, 470, 402, 403, 404, 405, other 400-level work
If you meet the eligibility requirements you may apply to the departmental Honors program by submitting an application. The application consists of the following 4 items:
- Application form (available through Advisor by request))
On the form, you will identify a faculty member from the department who can support your application. The faculty member does NOT have to be your eventual thesis advisor (he or she certainly can be, but it’s not obligatory). Make sure this faculty members knows that he/she will be listed as your reference.
- A short statement of purpose, explaining your interest in completing the honors program.
- A writing sample (a paper from a previous course that you feel best represents your interests and abilities. This paper can be in French, Italian or English; and it can be a paper written for a course taken in another department).
- Unofficial transcripts
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Contact Humanities Advisor Sabrina Tatta (firstname.lastname@example.org) for current deadline.
You can address any questions to Sabrina or the Honors Adviser, Richard Watts (email@example.com).