To obtain a BA with a major in French Studies, fifty-five (55) approved credits above French 203 are required.
French Major Requirements
- Current French Major Requirements, starting Autumn 2015 (PDF)
- French major requirements, Autumn 2011-Autumn 2014 (PDF)
Note: students who declared the French major prior to autumn 2011 but would like to follow the updated requirements should contact the Humanities Academic Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org in order to have their records updated.
- French major requirements, prior to Autumn 2011 (PDF)
- FRENCH 301 and FRENCH 302 Advanced French (10 credits)
- The following three survey courses:
FRENCH 304 Issues and Perspectives in French and Francophone Studies (5 credits, VLPA)
FRENCH 305 Texts and Traditions I (5 credits, VLPA)
FRENCH 306 Texts and Traditions II (5 credits, VLPA)
- One course at the FRENCH 370-level (FRENCH 376, 378, 379) (5 credits)
- Two 400-level French Courses (10 credits)
- Electives: 15 credits above FRENCH 203 from an approved list of electives. See adviser for approved list.
- Maximum 15 credits of approved study-abroad coursework may be petitioned to apply to the major
- A minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA is required for courses applied toward the major.
- FRENCH 203 required for FRENCH 301
- FRENCH 301 required for FRENCH 302 (MUST BE TAKEN IN SEQUENCE)
- FRENCH 302 required for FRENCH 304, 305, and 306. Students may petition to take FRENCH 302 concurrently with FRENCH 304, 305, and 306 by speaking to an advisor at Humanities Academic Services Center (email@example.com).
- FRENCH 304, 305, and 306 do not need to be taken in sequence
- At least one survey literature course (FRENCH 304, 305, 306) must be completed prior to enrolling in a 400-level course