To obtain a BA with a major in French Studies, fifty-five (55) approved credits above French 203 are required.
French Major Requirements
- French Major Requirements, starting Autumn 2015 (PDF)
- French major requirements, Autumn 2011-Autumn 2014 (PDF)
Note: students who declared the French major prior to autumn 2011 but would like to follow the updated requirements should contact the Academic Counselor, Sabrina Tatta, in order to have their records updated.
- French major requirements, prior to Autumn 2011 (PDF)
- 301, 302* Advanced Syntax and Composition (10 credits)
- The following three survey courses:
304 Issues and Perspectives in French and Francophone Studies (5 credits, VLPA)
305 Texts and Traditions I (5 credits, VLPA)
306 Texts and Traditions II (5 credits, VLPA)
- One course at the FRENCH 370-level (5 credits)
- Two 400-level French Literature Courses (10 credits)
- Electives: 15 credits above FRENCH 203 from an approved list of electives. See adviser for approved list.
- Maximum 15 credits of approved study-abroad coursework may be petitioned to apply to the major
- A minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA is required for courses applied toward the major.
- FRENCH 203 required for FRENCH 301, 376, and 378
- French 301 required for FRENCH 302 (MUST BE TAKEN IN SEQUENCE)
- Students may petition to take FRENCH 302 concurrently with FRENCH 304, 305, and 306 by speaking to the Academic Adviser
- At least one survey literature course (FRENCH 304, 305, 306) must be completed prior to enrolling in a 400-level course