To obtain a Bachelor of Arts with a major in French Studies, 50 approved credits above French 203 are required.
French Major Requirements
50 credits total
- FRENCH 301, FRENCH 302, FRENCH 303 (15 credits)
- One course at the FRENCH 370-level (FRENCH 376, 378, 379) (5 credits)
- Two 400-level French Courses (10 credits). Transfer credits at the 400-level accepted only by petition
- Electives: 20 credits above FRENCH 203 from an approved list of electives. See advisor for approved list
- Maximum 15 credits of approved study-abroad coursework may be petitioned to apply to the major
- A minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA is required for courses applied toward the major.
- FRENCH 203 required for FRENCH 301 or FRENCH 302
- FRENCH 301 and FRENCH 302 do not have to be taken in sequence. FRENCH 302 can be completed before FRENCH 301.
- Either FRENCH 301 or FRENCH 302 required for FRENCH 303. Both FRENCH 301 and 302 do not have to be completed in order to take FRENCH 303.
Previous French Major Requirements
- French Major Requirements, Autumn 2015-Summer 2021 (PDF)
- French major requirements, Autumn 2011-Autumn 2014 (PDF)
- French major requirements, prior to Autumn 2011 (PDF)
- Students who declared the French major prior to Autumn 2021 and have questions about which requirements to follow should contact the Humanities Academic Services Center at email@example.com.