Italian Studies Major Requirements
Please note at this time we are not able to offer the upper level courses for the Italian Studies major. Therefore we are not able to accept new students into the Italian Studies major. For a major in Italian Studies, a minimum of fifty-five (55) credits of coursework (or equivalent) are required. A minimum grade of 2.0 is required in order for a course to be applied towards the Italian major.
- Italian Major Requirements, effective Autumn 2015
- Italian Studies major requirements (for those who declare the Italian major after the start of spring quarter 2006) (PDF)
- Italian Studies major requirements (for those who declared the Italian major prior to spring quarter 2006) (PDF)
Requirements listed below are for Italian majors who declare in Autumn 2018 or later.
- Core: 20 credits from ITAL 203, ITAL 301, ITAL 302, ITAL 304
- Two courses (10 credits) at the ITAL 350-level
- Electives: 25 credits above ITAL 203. from an approved list of electives. See adviser for approved list (excludes ITAL 127, 199, 227, and 299, and 327)
- Must include 5 credits at the ITAL 400-level. Transfer credits at the 400 level only accepted by petition
- Minimum 15 credits in courses taught in Italian
- Minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA for courses applied to the major
- Maximum 15 credits of approved study-abroad coursework may be petitioned to apply to the major
- ITAL 203, 301, 302, and 304 must be taken in sequence
- Courses at the ITAL 350 level have no prerequisites
- The prerequisite for 400-level Italian courses is completion of or concurrent enrollment in ITAL 302
Please contact the Humanities Academic Services Center (HAS) at email@example.com with any questions about the Italian major.